This course presents information to help providers understand cultural issues relevant to treating lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) clients. To provide culturally competent treatment, providers must possess attitudes that reflect openness to other cultures, values, and beliefs; a willingness to assess and change their own beliefs; and the ability to appreciate diversity. Providers need to know about the social and cultural context in which their clients live and abuse substances and be receptive to information that may differ from their personally held views.
Course Objectives/Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
• What cultural competence is?
• How cross-cultural issues affect substance abuse treatment
• What the dimensions of culture are
• Treatment issues that are unique to different ethnic groups
• Perspectives on gay culture