This course is part of a series of workshops integrating various Theories of Counseling. This series was developed to meet the criteria for entry and advance level counselors in the topic of counseling theories and/or evidence-based practices. The workshop discusses Adlerian Therapy as a major counseling theories. Content includes a brief history of the theory, the prominent figures that developed the theories, content and key terminology and a discussion of current research and applications of the theory in substance abuse treatment.
Class participants will be able to:
1. Describe and discuss the concept of a theory.
2. Describe and discuss the levels of conscious.
3. Describe the concept of Adler’s view of human nature.
4. Describe and understand the concept of birth order as it relates to the five ordinal positions.
5. Explore the concept of boundaries in Adlerian Therapy and discuss how good boundaries can serve a protective function for both patient and therapist, allowing each partner to feel strongly and speak freely.
6. Explore the counselors of role in Adlerian Therapy